In this session from the 2020 GovComms Festival, we hear from the four panelists who participated in the Privacy and Data panel.
Due to technical difficulties, Sarah Byrne and Bruce Brown were unable to share their video but their audio can still be heard.
This panel features the following speakers:
- Sarah Byrne, Principal Legal Advisor at Proximity
- Simon Blake, Executive Manager – Client Engagement at Proximity
- Brad Watson, Special Advisor at Proximity
- Bruce Brown, Consultant at Proximity
The panel addresses topics related to privacy, data, and analysis. They discuss how government can ensure the integrity of its data and reduce the risks of cyber threats that compromise the security of potentially sensitive information.
They also discuss how government should prioritize data, and how they are able to identify what needs to be protected.
The panel address the issue of human error in the data world. Data privacy requires individual commitments from everyone, regardless of whether they work in data security or not.
The panel also discusses some of the many challenges that government faces when it comes to data usage and data privacy. On the one hand, the government needs to use data to assist service delivery. On the other hand, the government needs to be wary of the challenges associated with data usage, such as public opposition and cyber threats.
After watching this video, you will be able to:
- Understand the issues related to data and privacy.
- Recognize the benefits to the government of using data, as well as some of the challenges.
- Identify the steps that the government should take to improve data security.